- 60ml olive oil
- 6 chicken drumsticks, excess fat removed, skin on
- 6 chicken thighs, excess fat removed, skin on
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 150g sliced pancetta, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100ml dry white wine
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 heaped tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 150ml chicken stock
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- chopped flat leaf parsley, to garnish
- heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the chicken pieces and
cook until browned and set aside.
- add the onion, celery, carrot and pancetta and cook over low heat,
until the onion softens. add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for
a further minute.
- return the chicken pieces to the pan, add the wine, allow to simmer.
add the tomatoes, vinegar, herbs and stock.
- bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low. cover and simmer
for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. add olives.
- transfer the chicken to a platter. if the sauce is not thick, reduce
on a high heat for 5 min. serve garnished with parsley.